Thursday, September 22, 2011

From 5K to Marathon...really?

So - part of my job description in life is that I run my husband's farrier business (to those that don't know - he's a horse shoer).  The other day, I needed to make a trip down to visit with our insurance agent about a new policy we had taken out.  In the process of our conversation, and I can't even remember how we got on this topic, he tells me he runs marathons.  I squealed like I had just Bingo-ed, which I am sure threw him off guard.  I was so excited to have a real runner to ask about my knees.  I had now been off running for 10 days and my knees were perhaps a little better but not fully.  I had also now acquired a true pain in my left foot, on the bottom, underneath the knuckle of my second toe.  Did you get that?  

The next thing he says to me is "I actually train marathoners, too."  We proceed to talk running (not insurance) for the next hour or so.  He uses a training method by Jeff Galloway that is run/walk/run.  He also said they had a 6 month training session starting September 24th.  The next 15 minutes or so was a blur....I was sucked in to his overwhelming enthusiasm.  It was almost like watching one of those infomercials...it doesn't matter which one...when the sales person is so excited that you get all excited, you pick up the phone and call the number on the screen to get an operator who's so excited and you yell "I'll take 10!" in your most excited voice.  I walked out of his office and truly believed I could do this.  I started the drive home....called my best friend and said..."You're never going to believe this....I'm going to run a marathon."

PrairieKerri

No comments:

Post a Comment